Education Advisory Board
Education Advisory Board Members
- Golden Johansson
- Megan Mila
- Robert Marks
- William Kennedy
- Angelika Schlanger
- Wayne Adler
- Natacha Worthington
- Mark Sedaka
- Deanna Galeno-Russo
About the Education Advisory Board
Pursuant to Parkland Ordinance 2005-30, the Educational Advisory Board shall make recommendations to the City Commission regarding education, improvement of communications between schools and school populations, projects for improving school facilities, and will advise the City Commission on health, safety, transportation, and quality-of-life issues that affect students.
The Educational Advisory Board consists of five regular members whose term shall run co-extensive with the Commissioner appointing that member, two at-large members whose term shall run two years, and two alternate members whose term shall run two years.
Education Advisory Board Work Plan
The Education Advisory Board developed a work plan that outlines their goals and objectives that they work on throughout the year. The work plan is divided into and long and short term goals.
LONG TERM GOALS:
v Keep Parkland Students In Schools Located Within Parkland
- Monitor the status and revisions to the Interlocal Agreement. Assign Board members to contact individual members of the Oversight Committee to express Board’s policy.
- Seek City of Parkland representation on the Broward County Facility Task Force and IZone Committee - Assign specific Board member to determine which committees would be most advantageous to join and determine mechanisms to join.
v Advocate for Construction of Additional School Capacity in the Wedge Area
- Invite relevant School Board employees to report to the Board on a quarterly basis. The Board shall determine which School Board members and employees shall be invited and develop a schedule for when they shall appear before the Board.
- Seek City of Parkland representation on Committees as determined by the Board - Assign specific Board member to determine which committees would be advantageous to join and determine mechanisms to join.
- Designate Board members to attend School Board and related Committee meetings as needed
to monitor important issues such as retainage of County impact fees.
- Consider the efficacy of portable or relocatable classrooms as opposed to modular classrooms.
SHORT TERM GOALS:
v Improve And Enhance Communication Between The City, The Schools And School Board
- Designate Board liaisons for each school. Liaisons should attend PTA/SAC/SAF meetings and provide regular updates to the EAB.
- Invite principals to attend a Board meeting and report on the state of their school, needs, challenges and successes. Liaisons shall contact each principal to schedule.
- Board hosts annual Mayor’s Back to School Breakfast.
- Board offers annual scholarship to a graduating high school Parkland resident.
- Board liaisons shall communicate to each principal the City’s desire to recognize student and school wide achievement, and stress the need for principals to notify the City of the achievements in a timely manner.
- Recommend disbursement of Parkland DASH proceeds to public schools located in the City.
- Board shall organize participation of school PTA/PTO’s in the City’s Annual Back to School Splash Bash.
- Encourage and support School Board efforts to improve school safety including implementation of “single point of entry”, check-in/check-out systems and campus security.
- Encourage and support school wellness initiatives which may include school gardens, nutrition education and nutritional improvements, and daily recess/exercise.
- Explore educational concepts to include Gifted/ESE (Exceptional Student Education) programs, ESLS (Exceptional Student Learning Support) programs, multi-age programs, personal finance programs and charter school models.
- Encourage and support programs that value community service and enhance self-esteem.
- Provide feedback on transportation matters involving the schools.
- 6:00 p.m.
- Normally the Second Monday of each month
- City Hall
December 11, 2017
January 22, 2018
February 12, 2018
March 12, 2018
April 9, 2018
May 14, 2018
June 11, 2018
July 9, 2018
August 13, 2018
September 17, 2018
October 15, 2018
November 13, 2018
December 10, 2018