What is a Staff Liaison?
Each Parkland advisory board has an assigned staff liaison. The word liaison is used deliberately by the City to describe the nature of the staff role in relation to the board. A liaison is defined as one who maintains communication.
While Parkland’s board liaisons have some differing duties depending on past board practice, time availability, and departmental resources, in general Parkland’s staff liaisons are responsible for:
- Ensuring that meeting notifications and record keeping occurs consistent with applicable State laws
- Serving as a communication link between the board, City administration, departments, and the City Commission, as appropriate
- Providing professional guidance, issue analysis, and recommendations
- Making sure the intent of the advisory board is not lost after a decision, and that it is conveyed to the City Commission in a timely manner
- Assisting the advisory board in staying on track and focused
- Presenting advisory board recommendations to the City Commission
- Maintaining a positive working relationship with the Chair and board members
The liaisons are staff professionals with significant work responsibilities in addition to their board liaison activities. In general, the liaisons are individuals who have significant staff responsibilities that relate to the same work area as the board. The liaisons do not work for or at the direction of the board. They are professionals who work with the board to develop information and recommendations for Commission consideration.