Disaster Insurance

Disaster Insurance - Flood Insurance: You Must Obtain This Coverage Separately

Most homeowners, renters, and dwelling policies cover home flood damage in the home caused by a leaking roof. The policies do not cover personal property, unless hail or wind damage caused your roof or walls to leak. An approved private insurance company or the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) provides coverage for damage from rising waters. You must obtain this coverage separately from a standard homeowners or dwelling policy. Flood insurance pays for debris removal. It does not pay for temporary living expenses if you have to move from your home.

For more information on flood insurance, visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website.